Sunday, January 29, 2012

Adverse effects of overfertilising & Fending off diseases & pests

Lately, I've been battling against insects such as ants who a sweet tooth, making its way up the stems of my plants to reach out for the nectar produced by my Ginger plants.

At the spur of the moment, I was seized by a horrible thought that it was a sign of aphids as there were sooty-like "dust" which were found at the joints between the leaves & the stems. The undersides of the leaves were spared as well although the condition wasn't serious.

I sized that my kindness towards my plants was bring down their resistance & killing them off. It suddenly daunted upon me that the adverse effects of overfertilisation had been kicking in finally.

And out of desperation, I marched into the nurseries & got hold of white oil from quite an established brand here in our local market but it didn't work.

Finally, I had no choice but to use Bayer's Fungus Fighter which I had bought more that a year ago from Far East Flora when one of their branches was still located at Kovan (in Hougang). Well, it seemed to work really fast. However, since I'm last to last few drops of it in the bottle, I'm wondering what sort of drastic measures I would resort to when the relapse took place. Far East had imported the product direct from USA but I supposed that the item wasn't selling fast enough here in Singapore for them to justify another shipment. As such, I had been told that they wouldn't be bringing in the product in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment