Thursday, December 8, 2011

Killing my plants with Kindness : Over-fertilising my plants *SOB*

I was overcome by a strong sense of greed. Even after the plants were blooming so beautifully.

A silly idea strike me & I thought that since the plants had been flowering so vigorously, I should be replenishing their vitamins by fertilising.

However, I was so greedy that I tripled the dose of fertiliser. Instead of the usual 10-15 drops of fertiliser diluted in 1 litre of water, I've decided to pour in 30 over drops...

The outcome was a disaster!

By the time I came back in the evening, I was shocked to notice that the over-fertilising had burnt off the anatomy of my poor plants!

The photograph below shows evidence of over-fertilising of my plants. I have to stop feeding them any fertiliser for a long time from now... But hopefully their condition would stabilise & they wouldn't die on me.






The condition of my ginger plants further deteoriated as the after effects of overfertilisation sunk in. And I think I had also overwatered the plants in a desperate attempt to flush out the excessive fertilisation.

To make things worse, the rainy weather meant that the plants had been "over-drinking" water. As such, there were both burnt marks & rotting...

More photographs of the outcome of over-watering & over-fertilisation:



Advice from the nursery: To sit back & wait for the effects of the fertilsation to wear off on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment